Finally, this Christmas break allowed me to catch up with some modelling. Today, I spent 1 hour plastering the concrete bridge. Remember from part 1, I used the corrugated cardboard to build the base of the bridge, which was an after-thought. Lesson learned here, that I should build the bridge structure first. Anyway, this week, I coated the cardboard with a layer of plaster to give it a concrete look.
I bought a packet of hobby and modellers’ plaster (Hobby- und Modelliergips) from Hornbach. This 1.5kg pack would last a long, long time but the smallest I could find. The hohes C is just a saved-up container for me to mix my plaster. I don’t want to mess up the place. Furthermore disposing hardened plaster would be a nightmare later on, so this recycled container would be useful.
I made up a medium viscosity plaster mixture and applied on the cardboard bridge. I covered all the gaps with the plaster mix.
I should be using a scraper instead of my fingers but it found that it was easier to work with the fingers especially when you want to cover all the gaps.
After cover all the gaps, I used a thick paint brush to “paint” a layer of plaster on the rest of the cardboard surface. The intention was to give the bridge a concrete look. The end result was a light grey-colored “concrete bridge”. I left it at the heating overnight to dry the plaster. If need be, I might give another layer of plaster next week.
Well, this is another 1 hour effort. The next stage is to fix a block signal I bought and add wiring to the rails so that I could turn this diorama into a programming track before I start plastering the landscape.
Total hours spent to-date: 7 hours.